Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Livy Vision

originally posted at Reepicheep's Coracle


My dear friend RationalJenn and I were talking today about what we envision our kids being when they are grown. I thought it might be interesting for you guys to know the things I am aiming for in my parenting. Here's what I would like Livy to be at, say, age 21:

I want her to be aware of what she likes to do and what she is good at doing, and I want her to have the skills it takes to begin her career. I want her to have the social skills necessary to maintain good romantic relationships and friendships. I also want her to be able to deal with bosses, coworkers, and random people in the world. I want her to be virtuous (honest, integrated, rational, independent, productive, just, and prideful) because I want her to be able to be happy. I want her to have a good understanding of herself (her personality, strengths, weaknesses, etc) and be working to make herself the best person she can be. I want her to be physically healthy and know how to maintain her health with good nutrition and exercise and sleep. I want her to be able to set goals and work to achieve them. I want her to have a layman's understanding of Objectivism and use it to guide her life.

Here are the things I don't care a lick if she does (I'm not opposed to them, just don't think they are for everyone, and she'll have to decide for herself):

I don't care if she goes to college, gets an apprenticeship, starts a business of her own, or travels the world for a while before settling down. I don't care if she's gay or straight or bi or an introvert with a tight knit group or an extrovert with a huge group, I just want her to be able to have healthy, satisfying relationships with those she chooses to be with. I don't care what her particular optional values are. She doesn't have to be a reader or a liberally educated person or like science. She doesn't have to like my music; she can like thrash metal is she wants to.

I guess this is one more post that should be labeled "minding my own business parenting." What things Livy chooses to pursue are not my business; I will be delighted if she is happy and rational.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts, so let's hear 'em! We're exploring serious ideas here, and think that a good intellectual discussion is a great way to fine-tune one's thoughts. Especially welcome are concrete examples from YOUR life, questions, and thoughtful challenges.

Personal attacks, spam, etc. is not welcome and will probably be deleted, unless we choose to keep them for our own amusement.