Friday, August 14, 2009

Happy Consequence

(Originally posted at Rational Jenn)
tra
Here's another great thing about the kids being responsible for more laundry: now we are able to exchange work in a Trader Principle manner!

Earlier today, I needed to run upstairs briefly to pull some clothes out of the dryer before they got wrinkled. I didn't want to bring the baby all the way up there, just to come back down with him (which would anger him tremendously). I also knew Ryan had sheets in the washing machine.

So I offered him a deal. If he'd keep an eye on Sean while I ran upstairs to empty the dryer, I'd be happy to put his stuff into the dryer for him, and start the next load. And a deal was struck!

Prior to making Ryan responsible for his laundry, I would have had to do the same exact thing--throw the sheets in the dryer and start the new load. But I may or may not have received his help with the baby. Not without complaint, perhaps.

He was clearly able to see this as a value-for-value exchange, and stopped his game to play with Sean for a few minutes. I got the laundry situated, and the baby saw no need to lose his temper. Ryan didn't need to be grumpy because of my asking him to do this; and I had no need to get grumpy because I was doing all of this laundry, yet was having a difficult time getting five minutes' worth of help.

Hmmm.....what other responsibilities is he ready for? YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts, so let's hear 'em! We're exploring serious ideas here, and think that a good intellectual discussion is a great way to fine-tune one's thoughts. Especially welcome are concrete examples from YOUR life, questions, and thoughtful challenges.

Personal attacks, spam, etc. is not welcome and will probably be deleted, unless we choose to keep them for our own amusement.