Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tough Questions

(Originally posted at Rational Jenn)

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit over this.

CNN, in conjunction with Real Simple Magazine, has an article up that gives parents advice on how to answer six tough questions that may come from their kids. Here are the six questions:

  • Why didn't I get invited to that party?
  • Where do people go when they die?
  • How do thunder and lightning work?
  • Where do rainbows come from?
  • Why do we have to move?

You'll have noticed that there are only 5 questions . . . oops. That sixth one must be something all right! (Unless they're considering the thunder/lightning question a two-fer?)

I was glad to see that anything sex-related wasn't listed--that is a tired stereotype, that talking with kids about sex per se is "tough." Or perhaps I've been inured to it somewhat, what with all of our sperm conversations and my lack of sense that makes me say "yes" when they want to accompany me to the obstetrician.

I did expect to see a death question, and yes, that has been a difficult one for us as well. However, I'm baffled by the weather questions. They shouldn't be tough to answer at all--that's what books and the internet are for! Really scratching my head at those two.

The party question and the moving question--well, those can be tough in the sense that the child is sad about the party or the move. It's hard to disappoint those we love, and it hurts to see our kids hurting. Sure, I get that.

I'd like to know, however, how the folks at CNN and Real Simple might answer some of the toughest questions I've received from my child. Because some questions are truly TOUGH and not because they're sad to talk about. It's because they are very, very difficult to answer with a straight face. (And yes, there's a sex question in this list.)

  • Could the strongest man in the world (aka "Daddy") lift up a peeing horse? (My personal all-time fave)
  • If Bad Guys came into our house, would this ninja move [insert demo here] surprise them? (That would be yes.)
  • I think I'm going to need to see it [sex], because I'm worried I won't know what to do. So could . . . ? (I interrupted with a quick 'No, that's private' kind of answer before he could request a personal demonstration from his parents. He'll thank me later.)
  • How did you get to be so old? (Is this even answerable?)
  • Mommy, what's a "flocker?" (After he misunderstood a colorful word I had just directed at a crazy driver who nearly hit us.)
  • Were there more than two cowboys alive in the past? (Answer: Yes, there were/are lots of cowboys.) Well then, when one of them said "Howdy, Pard'ner!" how did all the cowboys know which cowboy the first one was talking to? I think there must have been only TWO cowboys.

Now those are tough questions! I defy you not to laugh! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts, so let's hear 'em! We're exploring serious ideas here, and think that a good intellectual discussion is a great way to fine-tune one's thoughts. Especially welcome are concrete examples from YOUR life, questions, and thoughtful challenges.

Personal attacks, spam, etc. is not welcome and will probably be deleted, unless we choose to keep them for our own amusement.