Wednesday, June 30, 2010

CtV's First iTunes Review

(originally posted at Rational Jenn)

Kelly and I got our first review on iTunes yesterday! Unfortunately it wasn't as complimentary as we'd have liked:


"This is a very silly podcast by two young women who have no meaningful track record to indicate the value of their opinions. I guess if you're specifically looking for ideas about how to apply objectivism [sic] to parenting, you might find this interesting; but if you're looking for sound advice about child rearing, you'd do much better to ask a grandma who's actually finished raising a child or two."

I do thank the listener for taking time to write about it, and for noting that those who are interested in Objectivism as applied to parenting might get something out of the podcast. I also am absurdly thrilled to learn that apparently I sound quite young. :o)

However, I'll state for the record that I completely disagree with the underlying premise of the review, that one must be all the way finished raising a child in order to have ideas, opinions, thoughts, or offer advice about parenting. I think it's helpful to think about how you're raising your children, well, the whole way through, and ideally beginning before you acquire one.

I have never claimed to know every single thing there is to know about raising children, and indeed, I have no idea what having teenagers will be like. But since I have a sound set of parenting principles based in reality, I have a parenting framework and set of tools that are consistent with that framework that I use again and again. The situations change, sure, but the principles have taken me from years 0 - 8 quite well. And if something radical changes at some point, you can be sure I'll re-evaluate my premises if necessary.

Our first review from a listener who came to us outside of our blogs! Kind of a big deal, don't you think? And, even better, I was alerted to a woman who joined the Positive Discipline Ning group who had first heard of PD through our podcasts! Very cool.

Oh hey! We'd love some more reviews on iTunes, if you have a mind to write us one. :o) And if you're wondering, we still have many podcasts recorded and ready for production, but we've been so busy with MiniCon we just haven't had a spare second to get to it. We'll get caught up soon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts, so let's hear 'em! We're exploring serious ideas here, and think that a good intellectual discussion is a great way to fine-tune one's thoughts. Especially welcome are concrete examples from YOUR life, questions, and thoughtful challenges.

Personal attacks, spam, etc. is not welcome and will probably be deleted, unless we choose to keep them for our own amusement.